- Location: Brussels, with occasional international travel
- Contract: Permanent
- Reporting to: Director of Policy and Learning, with a dotted line to the Chief Operating Officer
- Responsible for: Conciliation Resources EU branch office staff - Project Manager, Project Assistant
- Closing date: 9.00am UK time, 26 August 2020
- Interviews: date to be confirmed
We are currently seeking a Director to join the CR EU (and mediatEUr) team, who will also be a member of Conciliation Resources Senior Leadership Team.
The role will provide strategic leadership, support and managerial direction to the team in Brussels, in alignment with the head office in London. The post holder will be Conciliation Resources’ senior representative to the EU, who will also be responsible for building relationships and influencing policy in regards to mediation and peacebuilding. The post holder will ensure the effective management of existing EU contracts and seek and facilitate access to EU institutional funding for the wider organisation and ensure that CR’s peacebuilding results and research findings are disseminated and discussed at appropriate levels of the EU.
Essential knowledge, skills and experience
- Practical and conceptual knowledge of mediation, peacebuilding and conflict transformation processes.
- Understanding of gender and gender-sensitive peacebuilding and mediation practice.
- Extensive knowledge of the social, political and bureaucratic landscape in the EU.
- A good understanding of the role and policies of the EU and its Member States in conflict resolution and in particular peace mediation.
- Ability to think and plan strategically, while paying attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate complex issues effectively and adjust communication style to different audiences, including media on occasion.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to build relationships of trust.
- Ability to listen actively and engage with people from varying backgrounds and with a range of political, cultural, gender and sexual identities and value orientations.
- Excellent written and spoken English and French.
- Excellent organisational and coordination skills, including the ability to manage and prioritise a diverse and demanding workload, to convene and run efficient meetings and meet deadlines.
- Ability to navigate political sensitivities and awareness of the complexity of working in conflict-affected situations, including appreciation of confidentiality and handling sensitive information with due care.
- Experience of mediation and/or dialogue processes and facilitation of training in relation to such processes.
- Significant organisation and team management experience to a senior level.
- Experience of line managing staff, including task management, performance management and professional development and developing a positive team dynamic.
- Significant project management experience, including design, budget development, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
- Significant financial management experience, including preparing and managing annual budgets of at least 500,000 EUR, monitoring and forecasting spend, and overseeing internal and external financial reporting.
- Experience of leading government or other donor-funded programmes, including donor relationship management, programme development and narrative and budget reporting.
- Significant experience of securing funding for new work, including concept development, building donor relationships and writing proposals and budgets.
- Experience managing an organisation’s operational functions, including: finance, human resources, and/or safety compliance.
- Experience developing, implementing and adapting organisational policies, including human resources, finance and/or safety compliance.
- Experience of undertaking policy influencing.
- Experience of and sensitivity to communicating with multicultural and diverse audiences.
- Willingness and ability to work irregular hours on occasions and to undertake occasional international travel in sometimes uncomfortable or insecure conditions.
- Proficiency in German language desirable.